History

Haliburton United Church was formed in 1918 when the local Presbyterian and First Methodist churches, both founded in the 1870s, joined together as the Union Church.

The congregations were ahead of their time – seven years later, in 1925, the national Presbyterian and Methodist denominations officially merged to become the United Church of Canada.

We still hold our services in the former First Methodist church sanctuary, built in 1912. We still have the beautiful tin ceiling and superb acoustics for the many music performances held here. Over time we’ve added nine exquisite stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ, each dedicated to members of families that include some of Haliburton’s original settlers.

Learn more about history in the making at Haliburton United Church.

Sanctuary 1949_congregation