Members of the Board of Stewards of Haliburton United Church (HUC) are elected by the congregation to manage the temporal and financial affairs of their church.
The Board generally consists of nine members plus the minister as an ex-officio member along with an appointed member of the United Church Women (UCW). The Board is represented on other HUC committees such as Pastoral Care, Stewardship and Mission and Worship and Music.
Stewards’ duties include, but are not limited to:
- Securing contributions for expenses that include the HUC’s current expenses and the church’s representative portion of the budget of the three-point Haliburton Pastoral Charge, of which HUC is a member
- Disbursing the funds received for these purposes
- Annually preparing and presenting to the congregation a properly audited statement of all receipts and expenditures, together with a budget of estimated needs for the ensuing year
- Presenting regular financial reports at each Board meeting, generally held once a month
- Overseeing the maintenance and upkeep of the church building and grounds
Stewards serve for a term of three years and may undertake subsequent terms as requested if they so choose.