Haliburton United Church (HUC) supports our local, national and international communities in a wide variety of ways.
HUC’s Stewardship and Mission Committee prayerfully considers requests for support and selects 12 monthly missions per year for local, national and international outreach. Among the many missions supported over the years are School’s Cool, Mercy Ships and the Haitian earthquake.
The church also contributes to the United Church of Canada’s Mission and Service Fund and social action appeals, which have included support for Syrian refugees and people facing the risk of starvation in parts of Africa and the Middle East.
HUC is a member of the Haliburton Ministerial Association, which also includes Northland Faith, Lighthouse, St. George’s Anglican, Eagle Lake Community, Lakeside and West Guilford Baptist Churches. As part of its collaborative mandate, the association organizes and presents community events under the banner of The Church in Haliburton. These include Music Nights three to four times per year and the annual Sizzlin’ Summer Service in the Park on the first Sunday of August in Head Lake Park. These events bring the community together and raise funds for various initiatives such as the new Haliburton Junction Skate Park and Heat Bank Haliburton County.
Church Facility Use
HUC is used by the community at large for many purposes. We have a central location, a large parking lot and a highly versatile meeting room and connected kitchen on the main level, as well as additional meeting rooms and a second kitchen on the lower level. The sanctuary is renowned for its exquisite stained-glass windows, ornately patterned tin ceiling and superb acoustics. Weddings, baptisms, celebrations of life and many concerts are held in the sanctuary throughout the year. More information is available on our Facilities page.
Community groups and individuals who use our facilities include:
- HHHS (Haliburton Highlands Health Services) for their Adult Day Program (ADP) twice weekly, which gives caregivers relief
- Choirs/bands/musicians/music teachers for practices, performances and lessons
- Community Support Services for volunteer luncheons, ‘Need to Know’ seminars etc.
- Prayer and Bible study groups
- SIRCH (Strategic Initiatives for Residents of the County of Haliburton) and Point in Time for meetings for young moms to support each other
- Men’s breakfast group for devotions and fellowship
- Tai Chi for low-impact exercise classes
- Vacation Bible School and Monarch Bible Camp for summer camps for children
- Pregnancy Care and Family Support Centre to host fundraising events
- Lions Club for regular meetings
- Masons for dinner meetings
- Knitting group to knit for community and mission needs
- Foot care practitioner
- Cooking instructors
- EH! Environment Haliburton for presentations and conversations on guarding the environment
- Church volunteers to prepare food for events held in the church and for fundraising